
2012
This was the year with the biggest growth for the blog—nothing unusual, I suppose, since I was obviously still so excited. As with most fashion bloggers, it all started in the bedroom—so many outfit photos taken there, mostly from the same angles. I didn't have a DSLR camera or a tripod, just my trustee Canon Powershot XS200—it was pretty good, but without any adjustable viewfinder, I had to keep going back and forth between shots. It was in April that I started trying to take photos outside—without anyone's help. That summer I was very much into photography. My friends and I had little photography experiments together—using a DSLR we didn't own—and my friend Rezy was kind enough to switch cameras with me until October—his was a Nikon D3000. I became bolder in taking photos in public places and asking Firu and some friends to help me with photos—mostly Rezy and Sakurako. In December, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a Canon EOS 600D with 18-135mm EF lens—using the money I won from New Look. Still the camera and lens I use to this day.2013
The year kicked off with my first ever guest post over on Jen's blog—little did I know it would spark a (sort of) friendship we now have. That same month I also shared my first backlogged posts from Paris—from the month before. Still the best trip I've ever had! This year I also become more regimented about my posting, making monthly schedules for each series. I started a series called Illustrators Arise, where I interviewed some of my favourite illustrators—a lot of whom still remember and connect with me to this day—and Mix It Up a Notch, whered I share different ways of styling a clothing item. There were also occasional series, such as Ghosts of Seasons Past—favourite outfits from the season in previous years, inspired by Tieka—and Sartorial Obsession—clothing items I've been lusting over recently. Having my DSLR helped a lot with photo-taking—even by myself and without a tripod—because of the adjustable viewfinder. It became a lot easier and I've gotten better with it. Editing my photos, I have tried out other bloggers' tutorials and tried to come up with my own look too now and then.
2014
I don't know if there will ever be a time when this year won't be a hard one to talk about. Starting off, I still continued on with a lot of series and guest posts from the previous year. The first new things I did were take photos in RAW format—it was revolutionary!—and a Reader Survey—that's just me overestimating myself, really, because it was a massive fail. By the end of January, I decided to reduce blogging considerably—only one post in February!—because I was determined to really build my portfolio to apply for art school (again) in April. [SPOILER ALERT: It didn't end well.] By April, I started to become more active online, because ModCloth contacted me and I was over the moon—although it wasn't a sponsorship of any kind, sadly—and I started my Youtube channel...for some reason. By May, I was packing up my bags to leave for home—and damn if that wasn't the hardest thing I'd ever have to do. I've got a lot of support, not only from family, friends and Firu, but also from some of you guys. It meant the world to me! And I also posted my first ever post in Indonesian, in commemoration of Independence Day. But soon it was time to leave.2015
By January of this year, I became even more regimented about blogging. Having virtually no routines, I was free to do as I please for the greater part of the year. From day one, there were a total of 5 series I was determined to post every month. Aside from the aforementioned Illustrators Arise and Mix It Up a Notch, there were also monthly Overviews—basically a sum up of the previous month—and recipes—sparked from last December—and 3 Things—which I ditched after a few months. To keep myself busy, I also decided to start posting illustrations along with my outfit posts—greatly inspired by Nancy Zhang—but quit after 3 months, because it was just too much work. This was the year I started to become more active in my networking, that I was able to collaborate with a lot of people, including a style swap I did with my friend Divina.2016
Although I said I would cut down on blogging, I still posted frequently this year. All the old series still continued on, with a twist. The Illustrators Arise this year was exclusively Indonesian illustrators—a few of which ended up keeping in touch with me. There was also a new feature called Ethical Fashion, which basically showcased ethical fashion brands I've found online. Speaking of which, this was the year I decided to splurge on Book of Deer—and it came with a free-of-charge piece from Eilidh, such a sweetheart! I also decided to introduce some of my favourite films and books more regularly. This was the year I first found out about Fashion Revolution Day—and, of course, I just had to contribute with a Haulternative. In May, I went above and beyond, by refusing to name unethical brands on my outfit posts—even if they were old items. Somewhere along the way, I ditched two of my ongoing series—guess which ones!

2017
In the end, I stuck with only three series from the previous years—none of which required any sort of research. The schedule every month pretty much consisted of one overview, one random thoughts, one recipe, one remix post and two outfit posts. It felt like the best mix at the time. I changed a few of the formats, though. The Overview posts, for instance, were more focused on things I read, watched, listened to and highlights—through instagram photos. It has allowed me to be more excited to discover new books, new films or series and new artists or music. The Recipe posts had a major breakthrough when my Photography class gave me assignment on food photography (and styling). It changed the way I arranged and work on my posts—to this day. In April, Fashion Revolution introduced the change from Fashion Revolution Day to Fashion Revolution Week—and I took it a step further, turning it into a Fashion Revolution Month on the blog. Aside from the blog, I've also become quite active on my Youtube channel—focusing mostly on books. It was a bit stressful, but a ton of fun!


2018
Ah, finally the last year—and then I'll be done with this rambling. I started the year with a somewhat shocking news—or maybe not—to some of you: I decided to quit blogging. Okay, quit is a strong word, it's more like I decided not to care too much about it anymore. There are no more any series that have regular schedules. No longer any structure to the way I do it. In fact, I could go a whole week without posting anything. It's down to only 4-5 posts per month. I wanted to use the time I used for blogging for other more important things, like creating illustrations and quality time with Firu—while he was here all of a sudden. I also used it to read so many more books—resulting in 60 for the whole year—and binge Netflix like crazy. The posts were pretty sporadic, the topics were very dependent on my mood and the quality varies greatly—but most of them are things I actually care about.



2019
And now here we are. I can't believe how long ago it has been since the first time I typed words into this field. If you see my first post, you'll notice the difference in writing—if nothing else. Look how sparse I used to type, now I just can't stop talking. It has been a really eventful journey; too many things have happened. Some are great, some are awful, but they were mostly necessary. I've gained some friends and lost some too through this blog. I've acquired opportunities and missed out on chances. These days blogs just flourish so quickly. You see a blog that was created last year and see how high quality their contents are already—granted, some of them are skilled/professional photographers or are helped by them, but still. You'll see my blog's growth so minuscule in comparison. I used to wallow in self-pity at this discovery, until I realise that the main reason for that is I take my blog very personally. I've shared way too many things about my life and myself on this space—Firu would vouch for that, honestly—and I've been very outspoken about things I'd support and fight against, maybe a little too much. I've never been everyone's cup of tea, but that's because most people prefer coffee.What can you expect from this blog in 2019? Well, I'm not sure. What I can tell you are the following: there will be very few—if any—photos of Firu anymore. I've made a conscious decision of respecting his wishes—that I've waved away for years—to stay out of social media and, mostly, my blog posts. I'll also probably never stop speaking out my mind—especially on environmental issues and books. Other than that, all I hope is that you will always enjoy stopping by here. It's been really great to interact with you. Please leave comments more often, so we can start conducting conversations with one another—I'd love to get to know all of you!









































No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!