Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Remixmatch'd!


A few days ago I was just flipping through Elizabeth's Delightfully Tacky when I stumbled upon this post On Remixing of hers from months ago and just couldn't resist to share my say on the matter. It strikes me as highly interesting, especially since I'm naturally not a huge fan of fashion. As a little girl, I have always been against fashion since I believe that it is an industry meant for the rich to somewhat mock the poor. Yes, that might not be true but that's what I've always believed. And probably what some non-fashion-lovers believe as well. Who could blame them with the existence of the coutures throwing expensive fashion shows and parties to parade around clothes that most people can't even afford?

The first time I stumbled upon even the term fashion blogging was when I visited Flashes of Style and, later on, A Beautiful Mess -- two highly down-to-earth and inspiring blogs that I still adore to this day. Afterwards, I somehow became inspired to create one of my own. But, to borrow Tieka's words, this isn't a fashion blog but a personal style blog -- since I'm still absolutely disinterested and clueless about fashion. Of course, what moves me to actually start blogging -- aside from the personal reasons where I feel the need to challenge myself to become more stylish -- is the thousands of ideas of putting on clothes I got from these wonderful blogs. Apparently, it's not just putting on a shirt and pants. That, my friends, is remixing.


1. Are you a one-time wearer?

Growing up with a mother who complained when I put on the same piece of clothing over and over, it gets pretty hard to try and BE a one-time wearer. I mean, she complained if there's an item in my closet that I'd ever worn only once in a lifetime. So NO. I try not to be, at least, but sometimes it gets kind of hard to keep up with things I have in my closet. However, I have never bought a clothing item just to feature it on the blog. For other reasons, maybe, but I ended up keeping 'em anyway. But definitely never to just show off to people. I don't believe it's worth it.

2. Do you feel the need to purchase something new for an evening out or a special event?

Maybe there are certain clothing items that I purchased, keeping in mind that I'd want to wear it for certain events. But I never think of going somewhere or doing something beforehand and go purchase an outfit for it. Aside from formal parties and events, I don't really care much about what outfit I wear or I'm sure there's something in my closet. So long as I put more effort than just a t-shirt and jeans, I think it can be assumed as a safe bet.

3. Re-mixing is something a lot of bloggers are proud of being able to accomplish – are you a re-mixing pro or do you shy away from posting items frequently? Why?

Oh, I definitely love to! It's what lured me to this world in the first place. I love reading Elsie's and Emma's Fashion Mixology and Rebecca's Sunday Remix series. They give me ideas and new perspectives on how to wear an item. I think, remixing is a whole new level of saving money on buying clothes whilst feeling like you're wearing something new. Very amazing idea, indeed. I myself try not to wear the same piece of clothing for many times in a row and post it on the blog -- even though I wear the same outfit for more than a day at a time. But when I pull out a clothing item, my mind races to the 1001 possibilities of wearing it. And, I think, All right, I'll wear it like this now and then I'll wash it and wear it that other way. So whenever I throw an item to the laundry bag, I just can't wait to wear it again.

4. Do you have a clothing budget or are you an impulse buyer?

What I'd really love to say: Of course I have a budget and can control myself from buying stuff that I don't actually need and I'm super rich right now. In actuality: I AM SADLY AN IMPULSE BUYER! This is not to say I spurge all my money on clothes and go shopping everyday. I don't have a budget, that much I know. Well, I'm a student in another's land, having a budget is not something I can choose -- it's practically the law! -- but I don't have an actual, personal budget on clothes. I don't even plan my shopping time beforehand. I just think, Oh, I have free time now, why don't I just go out and look at stuff? Yeah, great idea. The minute I find something adorable and cheap, you'd be sure to see me leaving the store with it in hand. I'm proud to say, I am less of a shopper than most of my girlfriends but I still buy more items than I'm supposed to. Firu is my restrainer. He controls my shopping outbreak. Thankfully, I still have some sense in me and keep trying to thrift instead of buying new items -- reasonable price or not.

5. Do you find yourself bored when reading a blog in which clothing items are often remixed and appear frequently?

Well, that depends. For me, reading outfit posts aren't decided by the outfits alone but also by the things written and the locations. I find myself more bored reading things I find hardly interesting or seeing that the photos have similar poses or hardly vary in locations. I know, it's not in the spirit of fashion blogging but I'm not only here for the outfit. However, I find clothing items that are worn more frequent more real. Of course, the gaps between wearing it in one post with wearing it in another should be fairly...fair. If not, I probably would feel bored seeing it. Of course, my favourite would be to see that piece of clothing being worn on multiple occasions and piled up in one post.

I'm not even sure I answered all the questions correctly. I guess, I ended up just blabbing out stuff that I never had the chance to blab on. Oh, well. This was fun. How about you? If you happen to post this idea too, leave me a link to read up on. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!