Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Sartorial Obsession: Modern-Day Pinafore Dress

Bonnie // Rebecca // Cat Sen in Housing Estates // Alix

When I was still in kindergarten, I wore pinafore dresses to school all the time. Mostly, because it was the mandatory uniform. I remember it being mega comfortable and cute. Though, of course, my tomboyish mentality erased such memories from my head forever. Lately, pinafore dresses have come back into trend, huh? Which is awesome, because that means I can finally get a hold of it with ease. The ones from Topshop have been quite the rage around the internet world. My favourite is the llama-patterned one - see below! - because it has this maroon colour and awesome patterns. I love me some llama! As I am not a loyal follower of trends, it is quite obvious that I was totally late upon hopping on that bandwagon. And now that I am intrigued, I've been on a frenzy of pinafore hunting lately. The one Rebecca wears above is very adorable - Dear Creatures always has the best items out of my financial range. Although I am also very much hooked into the mori-girl style of pinafore dresses - which are mostly made out of soft and light fabric with a touch of pastel mood and lace. 

Alicenightingale // Topshop // Modcloth // ShopExile // Asos // Boohoo

Since I was late on getting with the flow of the trend, I've only found out about the llama pinafore dress after it was long sold out. Too bad! Just as well, I know I couldn't've been able to afford it anyway, had it been in stock. Modcloth always has the best selection, of course. I don't really understand the difference between a pinafore and a jumper but I do adore this! Traditional pinafores of the early 19th century, per se, really interest me as well - like these ones - though they are harder to obtain and definitely cost a lot more. I actually purchased this one from Asos last week but I think I'm going to return it because I'm not really into it. Instead, I purchased another one from Boohoo.com - which should arrive sometime next week. That's always the question, isn't it, stripes vs. polkadots? I never thought I would pick the latter over the previous. But some things just work better with certain settings. Pinafores intrigue me mostly because it adds a childish touch to an outfit. Being an endless kid at heart - though I'm already in my 20s (orz) - that is a very important aspect. Plus, the childhood memories work up a childish feeling. Here's a picture to prove it - this is just one type of pinafores that I wore back then, I remember there were two more. Sorry to everyone else involved in the photo if you thought I just posted an embarrassing photo of you. Hah! If it helps, you all look mega adorable here.

My kindergarten class of '97 (Guess which one I am!)

5 comments:

  1. Aw, your school picture is adorable!

    I love your blogger examples. The Oxblood one from Bonnie is super cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thank you!

      I know, right?! I am so drooling all over it already~

      Delete
  2. Love your dresses and all the photos! We have no idea which one you are in that photo. Is that bad? Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an inspiration post, none of these dresses is mine and none of this girl is me. Thanks for the comment! :>

      Delete
  3. I love pinafores! I always love what Rebecca wears.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!