Hello, everyone! Welcome to this month's Illustrator Arise (evolved)! If you're not familiar to this feature, I will basically introduce my favourite illustrators from all over the world every month in the form of an interview. This month's lucky fella happens to be a quite unique one I've found so far. Welcome to the stage, Matthew Ellero!
A: Hiya, Matt! Thanks for this opportunity. For starters, could you tell our readers a thing or two about you and what you do?
M: My name is Matthew Ellero, I'm 29 and I'm a freelance illustrator. I live in Peterborough in Cambridgeshire.
A: What first got you into illustration?
M: Back in primary school I saw a book by Rolf Harris about cartooning. I loved that book and would copy the pictures in it. After a while I started to create my own characters and drew my own comic books, and I have been drawing ever since!
A: What are your most prized works?
M: Probably my most recent work - which was a competition to illustrate a vinyl sleeve for Laura Marling's song 'The Beast'. There are another couple of recent illustrations 'swing' and 'flower alphabet' which I really feel is me beginning to find my niche. I'm also proud of my first wall mural - for a school in Lincolnshire - which took a couple of months to complete and was a massive learning curve, but was very enjoyable and all the pupils got involved!
A: Do you usually work digitally or traditionally? What kind of tools do you usually use?
M: A mixture of both really. I really like working traditionally, and tend to do most of my work that way, but will often add colour to my illustrations in Photoshop. I use a lot of tools: scissors, pencils, card, scanner, graphics tablet, photoshop, Canon camera, foam board, double sided sticky pads. The sticky pads are a great help when i'm building the 3D frame for my papercuts.
A: Ah, speaking of 3D papercuts, I found a lot of 3D Papercuts in your gallery/website. What inspired you to get into that in the first place?
M: It was really trying to find a niche for my illustrations- trying to do something that other people were not doing. One of my pencil illustrations was really detailed and I wondered what it would look like in 3D so I created a 3D papercut and loved the results. I've been trying to refine my papercuts ever since. They are really time consuming and I'm trying to find a way to get better results, quicker.
A: Do you have any artists you look up to? Anyone who inspire you?
M: Camille D'errico is inspiring - I love her characters and how she has been able to make a career out of drawing. Looking at photos of her working you can see she is really enjoying what she is doing.
A: What does the future look like for Matthew Ellero?
M: Hopefully a life spent illustrating books for children. My dream job! I would love to have children and read to them a book that I have illustrated.
A: How did you first start out?
A: Thanks for the time, Matt! One last thing: What kind of advice would you give novice illustrators out there?
M: I still view myself as a novice illustrator so not sure how much help I can be but i'd say try and find your own niche. Don't copy other styles but find your own. Freelancing is lots of hard work- it is good to have a part time/full time job to begin with to help with finances as it could take a few years to become fully established.
| Laura Marling's "The Beast" vinyl sleeve |
| Fire in London 3D Papercut (my personal favourite) |
Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to stop by his gallery. Also, check out last month's feature here.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!