I've been wanting to try out this recipe for months but for some reason never came around to it. I'm a huge fan of italian food so, of course, I also love Risotto. But I'm all about making/doing things that most of anyone has never done/cooked before so here's to cranking it up a notch. Original recipe is from the Personal Trainer: Cooking game from Nintendo. And yes, I was inseparable from my NDS all the while I was cooking this. Haha.
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/3 cup white wine (I substituted it with vinegar)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce (the recipe recommends making it but I bought one)
- 3 oz. fresh mozzarella (or as required)
- Cooking oil for deep frying
For the coating (as required):
- Beaten egg
- Bread crumbs
- Dice the mozzarella into 1/4" cubes then peel and finely chop the onion
- Put the butter and olive oil in a saucepan, place it over moderate hit and make sure the butter and olive oil coat the bottom of the pan
- Add the chopped onion and sautée until it's tender
- Add the rice and sautée it briefly
- Add the white wine/vinegar and simmer it (to cook off the alcohol, if you're using wine)
- Add HALF of the water to the pan and bring it to a simmer over moderate heat
- Once it come to a boil, reduce the heat so that the surface is bubbling and continue to simmer until the water evaporates
- Afterwards, add 3/5 of the remaining water and continue to simmer
- While simmering, stir occasionally (with a wooden spoon) so the rice doesn't become sticky
- When the liquid has evaporated, add the rest of the water, simmer until it too has evaporated
- Add the tomato sauce and the parmesan cheese and stir them in
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then turn the heat off
- Transfer the risotto to a dish, spread it out and allow it to cool then cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to chill
- Afterwards, drizzle some olive oil on the risotto before dividing it into equal portions and rolling each portion into a ball
- Make a hole in each ball, put the mozzarella cubes in and close up the ball, positioning the mozzarella in the middle
- Put the coating ingredients as required in three different dish/bowls
- Coat each ball in flour lightly then dip it into the beaten egg and press it into the bread crumbs to fully coat the surface
- Heat the oil on a frying pan at 350ºF
- Put each ball into the pan until the coating is slightly crispy. It's ready when the ball has floated to the surface or the coating is golden brown. Tip: let it in a little longer unti it's a little bit burnt just to be on the safe side.
- Take the balls out once they're ready, let the oil dry on a strainer and serve them while they're hot!
Tips: It's okay not to pour the water little by little. I actually made a mistake of pouring it all at once. But I think it'd take less time to pour it step by step like the recipe says. It's okay not to use block mozzarella. Block ones just make it easier to place inside the ball of rice. I advise you to add a lot of salt. The tomato sauce makes it more sour than you would realise. And as per deep frying, don't drop the ball into the oil, place it gently but carefully.
There are a lot of steps and it looks really complicated, doesn't it? But, believe me, it's actually easier than it seems and I was surprised by how without obstacles everything went. I ate six of these bad boys and it was enough to get me through the day and night. Lass euch schemecken!