Wednesday, 5 September 2018

TBR: Loots from My Friend's Personal Library

For someone who loves reading like she loves breathing, I don't actually know a lot of people who do. Most of my friends don't share in my love for books, so it's quite hard for me to talk about them most of the time. However, there are still the few bibliophiles who happen to be my friends. One of them is my friend Maya. She has the most amazing collection of literature—her choice of fiction and non-fiction alike are splendid—and I've been eyeing some of her books for months. She has been kind enough to let me gain access to her private library too. Since it's my semester break, I thought it would be the perfect time for me to saunter over to her house and pick out some of the ones I'd like to borrow—which I did two Saturdays ago. And here are what I picked out.

The Happiness Project

There is something intriguing about happiness for me. It is something everyone seeks, but very few manage to have. There are numerous theories and tips on how one can finally find happiness, but they seem to contradict each other and/or be disputed by one or two parties. That is what Gretchen Rubin wants to try out. That's why this book becomes really interesting to me. Okay, that and the somewhat whimsical cover with the popping colour scheme. The little bird icon on the spine makes me think of Twitter all the time—I wonder why it is being used. Anyway, I hope to get some kind of enlightenment from reading this book too.

The Little Book of Hygge

Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living

In recent years, I've become very, very entranced with the Scandinavian way of living. Dubbed as one of the happiest peoples in the world, with low crime rate, the way they see the world must really be fascinating. However, it turns out, they each have their own principles. For instance, in Denmark they have hygge, while in Sweden they have lagom. Both these things, to my knowledge, contribute to the minimalist way of living—each with their own criteria and rules. Lagom, to me, is not all to strange, since I've watched about it in a Youtube video once—and, well, thanks to IKEA, I guess—but hygge is still unfamiliar. According to Maya, these books will take less than a day to finish, so I guess we'll find out soon.

Wonder

One of those books that I've been eyeing for years but, for some reason, never managed to get my hand on one. Then, one day, it was turned into a motion picture. Isn't that just swell? Well, I still feel like I need to read the book first, before trying out the movie. The synopsis on the back of the book really piques my curiosity. Doesn't it just make you wonder what August Pullman actually looks like? So glad to know that Maya has this book on her shelf. Now I can finally discover the story and the character after all these years.

Quiet

When this book was published, I'm pretty sure all introverts everywhere rejoice. Okay, maybe not, but I feel like they should. Not a lot of books have been written on the power of being a quiet person, an introvert, a keep-to-themselves person. Doesn't that make this book in itself a marvel? To be honest, I don't think I would fit into this category—I'm probably the most talkative person you'll ever meet—but a lot of people in my life are and I do believe there is power in the silence, in being a quiet person. Also, I do identify as an introvert—or an ambivert, actually—so it's exciting for me to read about the powers we have as introverts.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

Ah, the book that has been very popular in the last few months. At first, I wasn't really interested in this book at all. It just feels like a controversial matter—it has to be done in moderation, lest you should have a mass of ignorant public. I do believe that we should give a f*ck still, but in the amount that wouldn't allow us to shed parts of ourselves for other people to salvage, while losing who we are in the process. However, seeing that Maya has it anyway, I thought I should at least give it a try. Who knows? It may exceed my expectations.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Another really popular book, especially among bloggers and booktubers. The cover alone really intrigues me. According to Maya, this is a fiction about mental health, although not necessarily brushing on mental illnesses. It deals more with everyday things that we brush aside, though it may actually be connected to the state of our mental health. Maya said that she was able to relate to a lot of the things mentioned in this book. It gave her a sort of enlightenment about her own mental health, so to speak. Can't wait to find out what's contained inside.

The Japanese Mind

Out of all these books, this one is probably the most special one. I've never heard of it before, but anything with the word 'Japan' on it, I'd be quickly drawn to. This is a book about the principles of Japanese lifestyle. It teaches the reader practically everything about why the Japanese are the way they are, why they lead the lives they lead and why the consequences to their actions might differ from ours. You see, my friend Maya got her Bachelor's Degree in Japan. On her first semester there, she was given this handbook for one of her classes—basically one of integration. It contains principles, such as bushido, that really shape the Japanese as a society.

Maybe a Fox

Lastly, a book I know nothing about. I was just looking at it, because it has 'fox' on the title and I was attracted to it. The watercolour cover also looks absolutely gorgeous. The story is apparently about sisters. Maya said, that she could relate a lot to the story, having an older brother herself. She thought I would find it a whole lot easier to feel the same way, because of my very close relationship to my sister—as you may have noticed. I wonder if it will be anything like I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister or Her Fearful Symmetry—both of which I love.

Not going to lie: the moment I went home with these books, I was already itching to read all of them. At the time, I was reading two other books, so I had to wait a little bit. However, now I can finally dig in with no worries. Maya's shelf was chocked full of books, that I got completely distracted and lightheaded just looking through them—and the lengthy catch-up conversation we had—so there were actually still a whole lot more I'd like to borrow but fell through the cracks. Well, that just means I'll have to go back, right? I have to return these ones too anyway lol. Borrowing books from friends and libraries has always been one of my favourite bookish pastimes. It saves a lot of money and, often times, allow me to have someone to discuss the books with. It's also a pretty eco-friendly way to feed my literary hunger. I'd recommend you do it more often too!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!