When my sister came home permanently after living in Melbourne, Australia, for around 4 years, she went through a whole emotional crisis back home. At the moment, not having experienced the crisis myself, I thought she was being overdramatic. It turns out, she wasn't entirely wrong. So we both listed these things that will definitely happen when you come home after having a life abroad. It might help some of you go through this phase or help you see that you're not the only one with these problems. It might be fun to see, for those of you who've never lived abroad. Either way, here they are.

1. BITTERSWEET CHANGE
My sister's story: I was contemplating on going home or staying in Melbourne when Dad told me to go home. I already leaned towards staying but the chances are tough there, and here...here I have opportunities as well. But I was still torn because my friends are still there, my way of life was different and the environment I already got used to. I felt lost when I had to go home. I also had to get used to my life here, which wasn't easy.
2. REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK
My sister's story: This one's a huge shocker for me, especially when I started my job. Mainly, because new places and new people start popping up. When my friends talk about this place or that person - or even the new slangs! - I could scarcely understand. I was completely lost. Not to mention the traffic, what with the abundant amount of motorcycles and the chaotic way of driving. Don't even get me started about getting used to the transport system out here. It's a complete chaos!
3. ROUTINE SEARCHING
My sister's story: Coming home was like being sidetracked; I was still confused of what I was going to do next. But people seem to expect something different and awesome from me since I studied abroad even though I'm still not sure what I'm going to bring to the table. The pressure is unbearable.
4. CULTURAL REFLEXES
My sister's story: When I first arrived home, I sometimes forgot that public toilets have water sprays, I stand at the left side when I am on an escalator, and queueing at the side of the public toilets (while people here usually queue in front of the individual stalls). Eventually, I got used to the water spray in the public toilet (or got used to it again). But sometimes my friends asked why I am standing behind them while there are still space beside them, and I just shrugged it off. But the most annoying one is I often got cut when I am queueing in the bathroom because people simply thought I am queueing "the wrong way".
Like I said, having lived in one place for so long, you start to feel accustomed to the ways of things in that place. Not only the language, which you will surely get so used to you will have reflexes upon it, but also the policies and habits. For instance, even now, I still feel the need to put away the tray after eating at a restaurant like I always had to do in Germany. In Indonesia, there are people who get paid to clean it up. But I still feel bad if I just leave the trays be. You would know that these reflexes just happen without your intention. However, people who have never lived abroad might not. They will think you are stuck up for still speaking in the language you used abroad and for having foreign habits. You might end up being despised for your reflexes. That's okay, because if they are your true friends - experience abroad or lack thereof notwithstanding - they will accept your 'quirks.'
Like I said, having lived in one place for so long, you start to feel accustomed to the ways of things in that place. Not only the language, which you will surely get so used to you will have reflexes upon it, but also the policies and habits. For instance, even now, I still feel the need to put away the tray after eating at a restaurant like I always had to do in Germany. In Indonesia, there are people who get paid to clean it up. But I still feel bad if I just leave the trays be. You would know that these reflexes just happen without your intention. However, people who have never lived abroad might not. They will think you are stuck up for still speaking in the language you used abroad and for having foreign habits. You might end up being despised for your reflexes. That's okay, because if they are your true friends - experience abroad or lack thereof notwithstanding - they will accept your 'quirks.'
5. HOME DUALITY
My sister's story: I actually wrote a story about this for my assignment, how the idea of a 'home' seems jaded after living a few years overseas. There are times when I struggle between staying and leaving, not really sure where 'home' is anymore. But as I determined that Melbourne was my home, going back to Indonesia gave me a heartbreak because I have to leave a sanctuary that I'd build for the past 4 years.
6. THE COLLISION OF THE TWO LIVES
Yes, I did say that the two lives we have in our homeland and in our destination country cannot co-exist. It is mostly because you can't bring all the people you know from one place to meet the people you know from the other. But by going home, you're forcing a part of your new life to collide with your old life. And sometimes, the two don't fit together. For instance, you buy new things because you need them in your new life. But, chances are, you already had them in your old life but it just wasn't possible to bring them into your new life. When you detached yourself from your old life, either the sentimental value of these things or for whatever reasons, you decide to bring them back to your home country, causing the two lives to collide. Or you change in your new life and, as you reunite with your old friends, your new thoughts and principles will collide with that of your friends and the 'old you.' They don't always fit in with each other and this is when all the cutting out begins. A little sad, a little harsh, but that's how it is.
7. EVERYTHING IS FAMILIAR
My sister's story: One thing that I cannot let go when I moved back home is probably all my uni textbooks, readings and my old assignments. I see it as a 'treasure' that I bring back from Melbourne. It may sound silly, and when I tidy up my room with my mom and sister, my mom even asked "why do you need to keep all this?"
7. EVERYTHING IS FAMILIAR
My sister's story: Despite it all, there are a lot of positive things in my home country compared to Melbourne. For instance, I don't have to worry about food because my mom cooks it for me, I have a driver that will help me go to places I want to visit, and most importantly, I don't have to worry about my residency to stay because I am basically a local resident with a legal ID.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!