



Currently Reading: Indonesia Etc. - Elizabeth Pisani
To a lot of people, reading books can be a stressful ordeal. Scanning through all those words—and often without pictures—can send their heads spinning. For me, however, is it a relaxing activity. Whenever I wake up early, I would read my books still half asleep. It helps my eyes open more easily and my mind come back to reality. Whenever I feel high strung, reading a book in my lonesome often loosen me up. My sister once advised me to read lighter books—such as children's literature—to unwind, but, the truth is, it doesn't matter to me if the book I'm reading—even when I'm stressed—deals with a difficult topic. So long as I find it intriguing, I will be able to chill with it in my hands. The problem, at times, is that I don't get to have a lot of time to read by myself—especially at work. Before, I used to be able to read in my commutes. But, now, I take motorbike taxis to and from work everyday, so that option's out the window. It is at such times that I truly understand the term "carve out time for the things you love."




Old top + jacket // hand-me-down pants // thrifted loafers
Luckily, my office is located in a pretty secluded area of the city. It is adorned with tropical plants and has a secret pool area that are usually not frequented by people. Sometimes I would go here to read or just be by myself. My preferred time to go here is around lunch time—after I've grabbed a bite, of course. Since it's an open area, it can get pretty hot in the day, but I honestly don't mind. The trees can provide pretty good shades, after all. Being here often makes me forget that I'm still at work or that there's a hugely polluted city just in the precipice. I could even dream that I was in Bali or somewhere else out of town. I mean, if these palm trees and giant leaves don't make you feel more relaxed, I don't know what will. Unfortunately, I cannot be wrapped up in a nice swimsuit or shorts, since I'm still technically working (lol). So, please excuse the contrast between the gloriously organic background and my business casual outfit.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!