Ah, Halloween! 'Tis the holiday for the dead once more. I think we can all
agree that any holiday this year will be significantly less festive. For
Halloween, however, even more so—what with the pandemic being a real-life
horror element already—and I completely understand if you don't feel like
celebrating in any way. I mean, I guess you can still do a low-key Halloween
with a few good, spooky films, a few nice, terrifying reads and barely any
costumes at all. Personally, I wouldn't want to throw in the towel just yet
and deliver yet another simplistic, half-assed costumes, as I always do. As I
said
last year, I always struggle with coming up with a costume, because I hardly ever plan
it way ahead of time. Every year, I'd tell myself to do that, but end up going
last-minute anyway. This year is no exception, except I've got a few additions
to my wardrobe—one of which was handed down to me—and it helped me achieve
this costume: a flushed-down pantomime. This girl has been working the street
of Paris for years, but gotten nowhere and she is definitely
not happy about it. Careful of what she might do to you, if you
cross her path.
Hand-me-down top // old dress + hat + socks // Sejauh Mata Memandang scarf // photos by Agung
If you're looking for ideas on what to do on Halloween, you might want to take
a look at my list of films and series
to watch this spooky night. Those ones have no supernatural beings in it at
all, though, so if you do prefer more ghostly flicks, I'd recommend something
as beautiful as
I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House,
Suspiria—both versions, although I've only seen the remake—and
Host—which
is perfect for this pandemic situation. Something more on the lighter side,
perhaps?
Little Evil or
Only Lovers Left Alive
will be great choices for tonight. As for books—which I originally wanted to
recommend in a video, but ended up having no time for at all—there are a few
titles that I've read recently. The first one is the incredibly chilling and
cleverly-written short stories by Edogawa Rampo, Japanese Tales of Mystery and Imagination. There is also Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, the master of fantasy. And, lastly, the only Indonesian magical realism novel I've ever known—and my favourite one to boot—Cantik Itu Luka by Eka Kurniawan. But, as always, I'm very behind on new films and books—especially in this genre—so I'd love any recommendations from you. Let me know!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!