

Moon Over Soho
Five years ago, I read this book called River of London—it was borrowed from a library. It's taken quite a long time, but I can finally continue on the series and read the sequel. It's all thanks to Uli's interest in reading the series last year. She has since, however, found problems in the series, so had donated the first book. She kept this one for me and—though I have forgotten most of what went on—I decided to try it out again. The story revolves around Peter Grant, the new addition to this police force in London—if memory serves me right—who has to face spiritual and/or mythical beings in his day-to-day. That's pretty much all I remember. Can't wait to dig in—and see if I still like it.
A Little Life
Oh gosh, this one is a big one—both physically and content-wise. As you can see from the cover, this book might actually give you a head- or heartache. Uli herself—and many other readers—has given this book major trigger warning. As far as I know, the book tells the story of this character who has depression and suicidal tendencies. According to Uli, this book is pretty...detailed in its description of what the character goes through. Also, it takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions, just as our main character keeps on going back and forth between joy and gloom—to the point that it actually exhausts the readers. I wouldn't recommend it to people who actually do have depression—or worse.
A Brief History of Seven Killings
by Marlon James

Bloom
Ah, a Youtuber book. There's got to be one, right? Full disclosure: to this day I have never read a Youtuber book before—not even John Green's. No hate, no prejudice—I just haven't wanted to actually spend money on one. A few years ago, one of my favourite Youtubers (at the time), Estée Lalonde, published a book—and it turns out Uli loved her too. I was interested to find out what her book would contain, but not enough to want to buy one. So, when Uli said she bought it, I was ready to just borrow hers. This, by the way, felt like a lifetime ago somehow, because I feel like the Youtuber in question has since changed so much, that I barely recognise her now. It's nice to read her words from way back when.
Okay, yeah, as you can see on the right sidebar of this blog—if you're reading this realtime—I am currently reading some other book. Until that book is over, unfortunately, I have to put aside the books in this post. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to flip through them. Not going to lie: I'm only very excited to read 50% of the books in this pile—the rest are okay, but I don't feel like I'd be missing anything if I don't read them, somehow. I think you can tell very easily which ones go into which category. As per usual, I wasn't well prepared and was quite distracted when I was at Uli's place, so there are probably a lot of titles I wish I could have borrowed too. Well, there's always the option of going back, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!