Saturday, 3 October 2015

September in Overview

Excited about...
This might sound absolutely self-absorbed but...my birthday! Yes, yes, it's coming next month. If you don't know when it is exactly, you can check out past posts because I would have hinted it in them. It's not like I'm no longer afraid of ageing, especially now that I'm surrounded by so many younger people, but I'm really hoping to spend some quality time with my loved ones this year. I would like to eat at least one slice of cake this year.

Currently reading...
Everybody Hurts: An Essential Guide to Emo Culture by Leslie Simons and Trevor Kelley. This is something my sister bought around 2007-2008 when she was going through her emo phase. She's quite forgotten about it thence on. Reading this book flooded me with memories of my adolescence, when I used to sing along to heart-wrenching lyrics with my best friends and think about ending my life more often than lately. It is so well-put, secretly hilarious and incredibly brilliant. And, you know what, emo isn't a phase, it's not a trend - it's who you are no matter how much you've changed.

Currently watching...
Actors on Actors by Variety. There are tons of great quality press in the world, if you only look. Sure, it gets buried in all the intelligence-corrupting crap. But it's not impossible to find. These days bad press seem to spew negative vibes and damaging gossips, especially on actors, that it's hard to actually get to know them - as opposed to feeling like you got them figured out. But little sessions like this, when actors get together and share their experiences with one another, make you realise how normal they can be - struggling with their own issues and striving for their own goals. 

Listening to...
Simple Song by The Shins. I found this song several months ago on Vimeo - which is sadly frikkin' blocked in Indonesia - and it has an incredible, albeit short, storyline. After reading the aforementioned book, I realise that The Shins is actually a band that's been around for a while and this is the first time I "discovered" them. The song, as mentioned by the title, is a rather simple one but it seems to hold these not-so-simple emotions among the lyrics. The video leaves me with a melancholy and I played it on repeat this month.

Thinking about...
Joining Inktober this year. Last year, when I couldn't join - for some reason - I was determined to participate when October comes around again. And - guess what? - it's already October again! My friend Ken and I decided to come up with one theme per day so we'll see how that's going to work out. I'll probably post the drawing every week instead of everyday but it'll be a compilation of drawings from every day of that week. Check them out on my instagram!

Re-adjusting the pricing of my commissions // can't believe Gina went to Japan earlier this month // social project with my classmates // Kue Jubung from Gresik, yum! // been spending a lot of time with Uli lately // bonding with my classmates over badminton matches // finally got to read Vera Brosgol's "Anya's Ghost" // playing with colours in class // when your teacher tells you to sketch a sochuu bottle

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!