Friday, 23 October 2015

23 Before 24

Oh my God, twenty-four already?! Time sure does fly by, doesn't it? I feel that fear of growing older again, it seems. Twenty-two sounded like such a prime age; it's an even number and it's just beautiful. Twenty-three, on the other hand, is a prime number and looks quite lopsided. But at least I'm still two years younger than what people say - there's a rumour on my campus that a 25-year-old from Germany is now enrolling for Bachelor degree, which, I think, is supposed to be me. To be quite honest, this list was made in a bit of a hurry, since I didn't have much free time - except on the bus - and I needed to garnish this list for this post before the sun went down. Although so, I'm really excited to accomplish them. They're more general this time, so whatever major changes in my life happen later, I can still achieve them. Also, they're more...growth-oriented ( now and I'm so thrilled to broaden my horizon.

1. Draw at least once everyday (and post it!)
This is an attempt to motivate myself to draw more and more in my life. Around 2-3 years ago, I stopped drawing because I felt creatively drained - ironically, I actually drew about this - and it's the biggest regret of my life. So now I'm trying to make up for it by doing this to fight off art blocks. Also, this could help me appreciate the little things in life.

2. Watch more documentaries
While TV series and movies are highly entertaining and can be a great form of art, sometimes they focus more on fiction than reality and it's not exactly morally healthy. Some of my friends love to watch documentaries all the time and they've told me things I wouldn't otherwise have known. I've watched a few documentaries in the past and they've been both highly entertaining and greatly inspiring. I'm really intrigued to find out more about the world!

3. Follow a webcomic regularly
You've got to believe me when I say: webcomics are the future of comic artistry. Seriously, with the rise of the digital age, everything has found solace on the internet - including literature. I've discovered more and more popular reads on the web and they've been really enjoyable so far. I've followed a few but haven't read them in a while, so I'm looking forward to catching up and reading more soon.

4. Do more volunteer work
If you don't know already, let me tell you this: I'm a girl who always has a cause. It doesn't pay to be smart, rich or charismatic, when you don't give at least a little bit back to the world. There is absolutely no reason why someone should not do charity or volunteer work. You want to be happy? This is the key. You want to be successful? This is the key. You want to be rich? Oddly enough, this is the key. Plus, you get to meet new people in the process, so why not?

5. Travel to places I've never been to before
As you probably notice, traveling is one of my greatest passions. Unfortunately, sometimes traveling isn't exactly doable - due to money or time - so I won't name a specific destination this time. I just want to discover some place new. It doesn't necessarily have to be abroad - or even out of town, it jus has to be someplace I never knew before.

6. Enter a competition (not giveaway!)
This is to make it clear to myself, because I enter tons of giveaways every year. The competition I'm talking about is legit: it's got to have actual jury, it has to have actual criteria of assessment and it has to have an actual prize, i.e. money, job contract, ticket to somewhere, etc. The bigger the competition the better, of course, but let's not pressurise ourselves.

7. Become a committee member of an event
This one's actually a work in progress, as there is an event coming up at my campus and I'm looking to be one of the committee members. I hear there're still a couple slots left so I'm crossing my fingers that I would qualify for the position. Plus, even if I don't get that one, now that I'm in uni, it'll be a lot easier to achieve.

8. Contribute to a publication
When I say contribute, I'm actually thinking about writing an article for a magazine or a newspaper. Judging from this blog, you should've known by now that I love writing, now especially when it requires a little bit of digging and researching. I've actually written for blusukan.de for a few months in the past, but the website kind of went inactive for a while and I couldn't juggle it with school and other obligations now. But it would be incredibly inspiring to do this again sometime.

9. Read at least one non-fiction every month
Now that I'm nearing my mid-twenties, it's only fitting to read more books which will do me good in everyday life. I'm not saying that fiction doesn't, of course. But there are definitely certain things that you need to learn head on by shedding the layers of phrasing of fiction books and actually understand the point-by-point lesson from non-fiction literature.

10. Open my online store
This is a project I've been working on for a while now. It's kind of already up, but I haven't really dotted the 'i's and crossed the 't's, you can say. I also haven't got all the products I want to sell just yet so I will come up with something and work on it as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

11. De-clutter my life and space
Sometimes you collect things and people in your life that don't really do you any good - anymore or ever, really - and they start to bring you down. When you hoard too many things and let them pile on in your room, they will eventually suffocate you. When you keep people around who emit nothing but bad vibes, you end up being brought down by them. This is when you need to de-clutter, to let go of things which no longer benefit you - but instead, bring you down.

12. Stick to a responsible diet regime
Again, this is an age thing. Nearing my mid-twenties, I start to worry about the food I eat and the way I eat them. Among my friends and acquaintances, I'm actually one of those who eat well enough. I rarely ever eat junk food, I always eat fruit and vegetable for almost every meal and I carry water bottles everywhere. Hopefully, I'll be able to up the ante and eat even better.

13. Open a booth at a convention
When I first came back to Indonesia, this was one of the things I wanted to do. Indonesia, specifically Jakarta, has so many amazing design and fandom conventions. Each convention is different from the next and they showcase different products as well as artists. Since there are so many, I thought I'd check them out first, learn the inner workings of the event, before I finally set up a booth. My friend Jess is interested in this as well, so we might open one together.

14. Read more diversely
There are so many great books out there and I've been trying to branch out on the geographical source of my readings. It would be an incredible shame to read just from the USA or Great Britain. Reading diversely - just as living in a diverse community - will definitely teach you about the different cultures, different situations and different perspectives of the world.

15. (I FORGOT TO WRITE THIS ON THE PAPER!) Make a new penpal
For the past several months, I've been writing back and forth with my friend Saku-chan who is currently in Japan - although she will be staying in Germany for a while, I imagine. Every month I look forward to her letters and I absolutely squeal with excitement every time I read it. That feeling...it needs to multiply. I've decided to write to someone else. If you want to be my penpal, please let me know. I'd really love that.

16. Invest on more ethical brands
You should know by now that I'm an advocate for ethical fashion. However, you should also know that ethical clothing items do not come cheap, so it's quite hard to obtain one. But it would be wrong to use that as a reason to keep shopping retail and sweatshop products. Instead, I'd really like to invest more on items that are more ethical than major retail brands. They can be local products, sweatshop-free or even straight ethical; it's all about the baby steps.

17. SEE FIRU AGAIN
If I see the pattern thus far, it seems that next year Firu and I will finally be reunited again. However, it seems that it might not be the case after all. This breaks my heart, of course, but I hope we will somehow see each other again soon. I miss him so much!

18. Post more artwork on my blog
I've been thinking of converting this blog more into an art blog in the future. I'm not sure how the transition will transpire but I guess we'll figure it out as we go along, huh?

19. Visit more museums/galleries/exhibitions
Yes, yes and so much yes! I just love them and Jakarta has so much to offer. No more missing opportunities like this anymore.

20. Give a work area tour
As you can see from above, I actually have a work space. It's not big at all and it's actually located in my bedroom. But I would love to get things organised one day and give a tour of everything that is my work space. Hope that'll be interesting to you guys!

21. Meet more local illustrators
Again, Indonesia has so much to offer! I'm so interested in interviewing more Indonesian illustrators for the blog in the future. If you have anyone to recommend, please don't hesitate to let me know!

22. Do a book/clothes swap with someone
I've done this once or twice before and it was a lot of fun, so I'm very intrigued to do it again. Both will be gold! But either one is fine. Although, swapping books might be a lot easier than clothes since you don't need to have the same sizing, just the same taste.

23. Design a clothing item (and have it tailored!)
This is something I've done before - as you can see here - but I'd really like to design fabric this time, have it printed and turn the fabric into a piece of clothing. I actually thought about creating a fashion label, but hesitated. At least for now, this is what I'll do.


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!