Friday, 26 September 2014

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Lady


“The object of the artist is the creation of the beautiful. What the beautiful is is another question.” ― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man


So do I look an artist yet? A beret always reminds of the artistic type. That being said, I have never owned a beret myself though I consider myself pretty creative. This one was gifted by my best friends from Japan! And it's orange! Double the adorbs-ness. The night they gave me this, we tried out wearing it various different ways but Uli, one of my best friends, ended up saying, "Just google it!" Which I did. Does this look even slightly socially acceptable to you? I think it raises me to a higher class. Feel like I should be in Louvre or MoMA or somewhere, trying to replicate a masterpiece an actually professional artist has once created. Although, having gone to an art school before - theoretical department notwithstanding - I know that art school students don't wear outfits like this anymore. Well, at least not in my part of Germany. They're more up for the hipster, we're-too-cool-for-you vibe. Also, the sketch book I'm dragging around is my actual sketch book that I actually use to draw things - including the sketches for my "book" and my font. You can see the cover that I designed here.

Gifted beret (from Japan!) // Cotton on shirt (Sis's) // drsv symmetry skirt // Kmart pumps (Sis's) // Celine bag (Sis's) // gorgeous photos by my sis

While I wanted to make this look a little artsy, I also want to inject a bit elegance into it. The other item that I really adore from this ensemble is obviously the newly-acquired skirt from drsv. This is a local brand based in Jakarta that I just happened upon at Local Fest. I really love the fact that they make their own patterns. And, trust me, there were some amazing and adorable patterns to behold! They were all origami-themed this time around. There were some amazing and soothing colour palette as well as cute forms inspired by animals, such as goldfish, cats and birds. Aside from the pattern, I fell in love with this cut of the skirt. It's definitely different from what I'm used to. But I thought to give myself a challenge and wear it. The lady at their stand told me that this was meant to be worn around the hips but this size will only go so far as my waist. My sister said, this was way better. What do you guys think?

P.S: Props to my sister, Akita, for the wonderful shots!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!