Saturday, 27 July 2013

Secondhand Clothes ≠ Secondhand Style

When I first started blogging, I told a friend of mine about it and showed him Bonnie's Flashes of Style, which inspired me to blog in the first place. My friend told me that, of course her style was so much better and mine sucked like hell. Her items were all expensive etc. etc. At first, I thought, "yeah, he's right." But now I'd like to beg to differ. People tend to believe that an item has to be mega expensive to have immaculate quality. I believe that isn't always the case. Who's to say that something expensive's worth all its price? Me, I believe in items which have gone through the test of time. That's why I am so much in love with vintage. The best part is, you can get these items in thrift stores or flea markets with a price way less than they were back then but just as much quality. Two weeks ago there was a flea market for ladies at an art studio near the art campus. It's not actually restricted only for ladies but the majority or items are for girls. There were a lot of amazing and adorable items. My hands were itchy to grab them all and run away. Haha. Especially that dress hanging from a tree. Too bad, it was far too long and wasn't affordable with my budget. I did walk home with two lovely items, though.

Primark blouse via Kleider Kreisel // vintage polkadot skirt + brogues // Görtz purse (thrifted)

It was only after I put on this outfit that I realised it was built up solely of thrifted items. But that's the best part! People don't wear what I'm wearing. I'm wearing a one-of-a-kind outfit. And, even after all this time owning this skirt, the cashier at my favourite asian grocery store complimented my skirt. She thought I brought it from home. It is kind of rare to find in Germany, I guess. The two items I got from the flea market are the shoes and the purse. The soles of the shoes are mega comfortable and the purse is big enough to house my necessities. Now this is what I'm talking about before. You can feel the immaculate quality of the shoes just by looking at it. I love the plaid pattern of the bag too. Despite the items being secondhand, the style is a Bivisyani original. It's no secondhand style, it's something that I made anew, though using used-up items. Also, I'm feeling like wearing simpler outfits these days since it's summer. And isn't summer all about dressing down? Though I'm not talking about bikinis or going buck naked. Keep it classy, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!