Sunday, 10 February 2013

Welcome to the Year of the Snake!

Happy Lunar New Year's, all! According to the Chinese calendar, 2013 is the year of the Snake. I know at least three people whose skin would crawl if they were unlucky enough as to be surrounded by Chinese New Year's decorations in the shape of snakes. Haha. I don't normally celebrate Chinese New Year. Yes, despite my somewhat-Chinese looks, I am 100% Indonesian. There isn't any Chinese blood in me. I know some people who do, though. In fact, my closest friends in Germany celebrate it. The whole festivities really excite me. Back in Indonesia, actually, up until the '98, the Chinese culture was a minority, in which this event wasn't even allowed to be celebrated. Afterwards, though, the festivities are just so inevitable! Personally, I love the dragon dance, the angpao (small envelopes of money, that the elder in the family spread around the children of the family on this day) and the festivity in general, really. Also, red seems to fly around on this event, as it is the colour of luck in China.

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 

Again, happy Lunar New Year, folks, if you're celebrating! Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!