Monday, 18 February 2013

Sartorial Obsession: Chim Chim Cherry

When I was in grade school, there was one series of manga that I love so much called Chim Chim Cherry by Ayumi Yui. It tells the story of a young nanny, Cherry, who comes from a land far, far away to earth to be the nanny of the McGregor family. No nannies before stuck because their children are just too hard to put up with. The McGregors have four children: the eldest and coldest, Robin; the playful twins, Meg and Liz; and the little baby, Lotty. The story was magical and childish. Cherry comes from a magical land so, of course, she has magical items, like Mary Poppins. She has the magical doctor bag, where she keeps her huge fairy tale encyclopedia. Fairy tale characters can come to life from this encyclopedia. There were also the talking squirrel, Deedee, Cherry's nanny sisters, Carrie and Sherry, fairies, dreams and first loves. I love the whole innocent story and, of course, their clothes!

[チムチムチェリー by あゆみゆい]

It wasn't mentioned in the manga when the whole thing takes place. But if I had to guess, I'd say around the time Mary Poppins was set, so around pre- and post-World War. I love the outfits Ayumi-sensei picked for everyone, especially Cherry. Her slightly-frilly dresses and the awesome cut of her boots make me drool forever. Her signature huge ribbons on her pigtails are also so fashionable. Ayumi-sensei is pretty known for her frilly dresses designs in her comic books. She also adores apron very much and I'm pretty much influenced. A few days ago, I stumbled upon this to-die-for COSPLAY collection from haco.. The idea was to create clothes that could be used as cosplay but also be worn on a daily basis. Instantly, I fell in love. I'm suspicious they sneaked into my thoughts in the middle of the night, stole my dreams and made it into reality.

[Felissimo]

[AsianiCandy]

Backing up farther, I spotted these oxford boots on AsianiCandy several months back. The moment I saw them, I was quickly reminded of Cherry. She wears boots like these all the time and I have always had my eyes on them for a long time. I love how most part of the boots has one color while the toes and heels areas have another colour. The structure also looks positively charming and comfortable. Even though, when I was younger, I wasn't into fashion as much as I am now, Cherry was always a style-inspiration for me. If only I was given the clothes, which I wasn't. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!