Saturday, 10 November 2012

Literary Review: Please Look After Mom

 Recently, I've just finished reading this lovely Korean novel, Please Look After Mom, by Kyung-Sook Shin. I bought it back when I was still in Indonesia because it's hard enough purchasing an English book in Germany, let alone an originally Asian one. I love Asian books, especially Japanese and Indian ones. They seem so exotic and are written differently from originally English books. Aside from that, these books usually offer a different view of society from that of western countries'. My favourite Japanese novel that's translated into English is Twenty-Four Eyes by Sakae Tsuboi.

When I first picked it up and read its title at the bookstore, I just knew that it would be a very sensitive topic for me. Then I read the synopsis and couldn't help but to purchase it. Basically, it's a story about the children who've lost their mother one day and tried hard to find her and remember their memories with her. As they looked back, they had to ask the question, "Do we really know our mother?" Now that I've read it, I can say nothing else but that it'd be a sob fest and you should be prepared; and also that I don't regret buying it one bit. If I had to give examples of books that'd relate to this one, I'd say Mitch Albom's For One More Day. I recommend this 100% especially for those who still take their mothers for granted. Read this book over the weekend! Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!